Defeat at Corinthian-Casuals

Isthmian League – South Central Division

Saturday 18th November 2023

Corinthian-Casuals 1

  • Koshem Murtra-Eribuwa (14′)

Hanworth Villa 0

Match report

Attendance: 293

What a difference seven days makes. After a dominating performance against a decent Westfield team, Hanworth came crashing down to earth with a below par performance against a struggling Corinthian-Casuals side at their Tolworth home.  

Starting eleven

  • 1 Terry Buss
  • 2 Kyron Richards
  • 3 Ben Geraghty
  • 4 Matthew Gbio
  • 5 Rayan Djouadj
  • 6 George Wells
  • 7 Theo Crawford
  • 8 Seanen McKillop
  • 9 Bruno Robertson-Tingle
  • 10 Sam Mead
  • 11 Sam Merson


  • 12 Oladimeji Olajubu
  • 14 Luca Cardines (replaced Robertson-Tingle 66′)
  • 15 Steven Gody (replaced Mead 45′)
  • 16 Ben Merson (replaced Crawford 77′)

First half

The game’s first minute was to be a sign of what the game was to manifest into, as Kyron Richards picked up the ball on the right wing. As he powered down the line, Casuals’ Oscar Walton came sliding in on a wet surface, clearly making contact with the Villa man. Walton came off worse as his forehead caught the boot of Richards, opening up a large gash just above his eye which required treatment.

Casuals had the first chance of the game in the sixth minute as Jack Smith played the ball down the line to Jason Kaate, his cross being cleared by Terry Buss for a corner.

Nine minutes in and a Sam Merson long throw was hooked clear by a defender, the ball looped to Sam Mead who headed just over the crossbar. Four minutes later and George Wells played in Ben Geraghty down the left wing, his cross finding its way just the wrong side of the post.

Corinthian-Casuals take the lead

The home side stunned the visitors in the 14th minute when Kaate picked up the ball on the right, cutting into the box. He managed to get a shot off that was parried by Buss, the ball falling to the feet of Koshem Murtra-Eribuwa who smashed the ball into the net to give the home side the lead.

Boyed by the goal, Casuals looked to increase their advantage, and an attempted lob by Smith in midfield fell just wide.

Referee fails to act

In the 21st minute Merson picked up a loose ball in midfield, the recovering defender – in trying to get the ball – took out the legs of Merson; amazingly the Referee waved play on, this was a sign of how the game was to progress.

Some neat play by Sam Mead found Merson, he in turn played a ball through to Bruno Robertson-Tingle, his shot was blocked by a defender’s foot, and Dan Purdue in the Casuals goal, gleefully pounced on the ball.

A Merson long throw in the 27th minute found the head of Mead, the ball being tipped over the bar by Purdue. The resulting corner kick was picked out of the air by the ‘keeper and his quick release found Murtra-Eribuwa on the left wing, his cross was sent goalward by Ayomide Majekodunmi, but Buss was on hand to force the ball behind the goal. The resulting corner was directed onto the top of the crossbar, thankfully bouncing out to safety.  

Reggie Savage received a yellow card with a very late challenge on Robertson-Tingle, the resulting free-kick not mounting to any challenge on the home sides goal.

We keep on knocking

Half hour into the game and another Merson long throw found George Wells on the six yard line, his acrobatic overhead kick fell just wide of the post. Hanworth were knocking, but just couldn’t find the finishing touch in the Casuals box.  

Richards played a line ball to Seanan McKillop, his cross was flicked out by a defender, but fell to Merson, who hit a first-time volley just over the crossbar.

Excuse me ref…

A minute later and Merson’s attempted cross into the box was deliberately handled by Marcus Travers, another simple decision by Referee Thomas Baines to issue a yellow card failed to occur, and to top it off the ball was kicked away by Travers, again ignored by the Ref.

Two minutes from the break, Ben Geraghty picked up the ball in his own half, his free flowing run being halted by a scything tackle by Conrad Conduah.  

The half finished, and it was clear to see that the Villa management were far from impressed by the performance of their team. Mead being replaced by Steve Gody during the break.

Second half

Five minutes into the second half and a handball by Casuals saw Merson with a free-kick, the ball into the box was headed backwards by Matt Gbio, the ball once again dropping the wrong side of the post.

On the hour mark, Wells found Geraghty in space in the Casuals half, he managed to cut the ball back to Merson who in turn played the ball through to the advancing Geraghty, he managed to get a shot off but frustratingly was blocked by a Casuals foot.

Pass back to keeper missed by the officials (but not the rest of us)

During the follow up play, Francis Quarm played the ball back to his ‘keeper, who picked the ball up, once again clear foul play was not picked up by the official.

In the 68th minute Casuals came close once again to adding to their single goal, as a shot from Smith hit the post, rebounded onto the crossbar, and spun out to safety.

We continue pressing for a way back

With fifteen minutes left on the clock, a break on the right hand side saw Smith cross into Savage, his shot being cleared off the line by Rayan Djouadj. Shortly afterwards Geraghty picked up a harsh yellow card as he went in to challenge for a loose ball with Casuals ‘keeper, Purdue.

Searching for the equaliser, Hanworth’s Sam Merson found his brother Ben in the box, his header being tipped over the crossbar by Purdue. The corner was forced out by the Casuals defence with Gody picking up the ball, Murtra-Eribuwa fouled the winger as he attempted to dance his way into the box. The resulting free-kick by Sam Merson was floated towards the back post, where Wells rose to attempt to head the ball back, in doing this he was barged in the back causing him to collide with the post.

Nasty injury to George Wells

Players instantly gestured to the sidelines to rush medical assistance onto the field, and after a long delay as both Hanworth and Casuals medical team dealt with George’s injuries; he eventually managed to walk off the field assisted by members of the bench. Hanworth now a man light having used their three substitutes, were denied a clear penalty in the aftermath.

The final chance of the game ended with Geraghty crossing the ball to Gbio, his shot flashing wide of the post.  

Final whistle and final say on the game

A poor on field performance by Hanworth was topped by one of the worst officiating performances that supporters had ever seen. Topping off the day was the news that George would be out for a long period after receiving serious facial and hand injuries in the clash. We wish him well for a speedy recovery.