Three points at Sutton Common Rovers

Isthmian League – South Central Division

Saturday 2nd December 2023

Sutton Common Rovers 1

  • Aaron Jenkins (19′)

Hanworth Villa 2

  • Sam Merson (42′)
  • Kyen Nicholas (61′)

Match summary

After an assured victory midweek against Badshot Lea we paid a visit to Sutton Common Rovers, a place where we suffered a rare(ish) defeat last season in that sticky period before we began our unstoppable march into the play-offs.

How we lined up

Starting eleven

  • 1 Tyla Dickinson
  • 2 Kyron Richards
  • 3 Aston Nunn
  • 4 Matthew Gbio
  • 5 Rayan Djouadj
  • 6 Louis Collins
  • 7 Theo Crawford
  • 8 Seanen McKillop
  • 9 Kyen Nicholas
  • 10 Gagendeep Samra
  • 11 Sam Merson


  • 12 Ben Merson (replaced Nunn, 82′)
  • 14 Sam Mead (replaced Nicholas, 72′)
  • 15 Bruno Robertson-Tingle (replaced Samra, 88′)
  • 16 Dean Wells
  • 17 Ben Geraghty

Attendance 82

On the coldest afternoon of the winter so far our boys came from a goal behind to win 1-2. It was certainly a day for hats, scarves and gloves and it’s always good to see the new merch on display.

First half

Our hosts struck first on 19 minutes through Aaron Jenkins. Our manager made a tactical shift shortly after as we were being a bit overun in midfield and sure enough we started to come into the game. We were playing well and it only seemed a matter of time before we got a goal back. Nicholas had several chances but the Sutton goal remained untroubled.

Equaliser 1-1

On 42 minutes Aston Nunn went on a darting run up the right-hand side of the field as the ball fell loose and swept the ball across to Sam Merson on the left who took the pass in his stride and burst into the box slotting the ball past the despairing keeper.

There was a lengthy stoppage at the end of the first half (over 8 minutes) owing to the Sutton Common Rover’s keeper injuring his knee executing a save earlier in the half.

Second half

Villa started brightly and in the opening moments hit the post and watched the rebound being turned around the post by the Sutton number one.

We get the goal: 1-2

Sam Merson winds up a great long throw which is then headed across the box by Mead and buried in the back of the net by the head of Nicholas to take him into double figures for the season, just two behind Merson.

Medical attention required

Our club medic, Sophie was called into action a couple of times during the half, once for Nicholas who went off as a result of his knock, in the 72nd minute and again for the new keeper who was thankfully able to continue. This contributed to the additional five minutes at the end of the game. And talking of new keepers…

New man between the posts

The day saw a debut for a new keeper, Tyla Dickinson, who signed earlier in the week. He gave an impressive performance throughout, showing assurance and good stopping ability. With the last action of the game he pulled off a save as a ball was driven through a crowded box that ultimately ensured we took all three points.

Final score: 1-2

There were many good performances throughout the game but it was Aston Nunn’s workrate and attacking endeavour that caught this writer’s eye.

Overall we probably deserved the points and with some more clinical finishing we could have finished further ahead, with several decent chances blasted high and wide. Also, nice not to be talking about the performance of the officials .

All smiles at the final whistle as the fog really began to descend.

I’ll leave the last word with Simon Haughney and Sam Merson.